Jesse Lingard is set to see out the remainder of his contract

Jesse Lingard is set to see out the remainder of his contract

LiveScore Daily is here to deliver all the big talking points from the world of football throughout the day. Keep refreshing this page for the latest stories in bite-sized chunks. 

Move may Spur on Jesse

Tottenham have reportedly spoken to Jesse Lingard’s camp about a summer move — suggesting the Manchester United star will remain at Old Trafford for the rest of the season. 

Lingard, 29, has been linked with a host of clubs since impressing on loan at West Ham last term.

And while he was widely expected to leave United this month, the England man now appears set to see out the remainder of his deal and leave for free at the end of the campaign. 

Klopp has faith in Mo

Jurgen Klopp insists contract talks between Liverpool and Mohamed Salah are progressing well. 

The 29-year-old Egyptian striker, who is out of contract in the summer of 2023, appears keen to remain at Anfield for as long as possible. 

But Klopp admits there is still some way to go until all parties agree fresh terms. 

Jurgen Klopp is not worried about Mohamed Salah's contract situation
Jurgen Klopp is not worried about Mohamed Salah's contract situation

He said: “These things take time. There are so many things to do. But it’s nothing to worry about. He has a contract here this season and the next season.

“That is just the situation, but all fine. He’s a world-class player, great boy, done great stuff for Liverpool and we want to keep him.

“I know Mo wants to stay, we want Mo to stay. I think all of it is in a good place. 

“I’m very positive about it. The fans are not as nervous as you [the media] are.”

Digne set for Villans

Aston Villa have reportedly agreed a £25million fee with Everton for Lucas Digne. 

Chelsea, Newcastle and West Ham were also said to be interested in signing the left-back, who has fallen out with Toffees boss Rafa Benitez.

But it is believed Digne, 28, will travel to the Midlands for a medical later today before sealing his switch. 

Tuchel may take another Luk at partnership

Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel is weighing up whether to ditch his favoured 3-4-3 formation to accommodate a front two of Romelu Lukaku and Timo Werner. 

The German switched to a four-man defence for the first leg of the Carabao Cup semi-final against Spurs last week, with Lukaku starting in attack alongside Kai Havertz. 

Champions League final hero Havertz was replaced at half-time by the returning Werner having opened the scoring as the Blues ran out 2-0 winners. 

And both Lukaku and Werner were then on the scoresheet as Chelsea hammered Chesterfield 5-1 last Saturday in the FA Cup third round. 

Romelu Lukaku and Timo Werner both scored against Chesterfield
Romelu Lukaku and Timo Werner both scored against Chesterfield

But Tuchel is playing his cards close to his chest ahead of tonight’s return game with Spurs at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. 

He said: “We are Chelsea. We have our style, we have our positions and we have enough possibilities. 

“We can play with two strikers, we can play 5-3-2, we’ve played this many times with the ball and off the ball.

“We have the same possibility to play with a formation with three strikers. Maybe even a 4-4-2, like in the match against Tottenham in the first leg, so we have some options.”

Wood you believe it?

Newcastle are closing in on a deal for Burnley hitman Chris Wood. 

Magpies boss Eddie Howe is in desperate need of extra firepower after star striker Callum Wilson was ruled out for eight weeks with a calf injury. 

And it appears Clarets ace Wood, 30, will shortly be plying his trade at St James’ Park as the Toon battle to beat the drop. 

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe is set to add Chris Wood to his squad
Newcastle boss Eddie Howe is set to add Chris Wood to his squad

Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson believes Newcastle are right to take the plunge, even though Wood is far from prolific in front of goal. 

The Arsenal legend said: “They have to take a chance and hope someone can hit the ground running.

“I know he isn’t prolific but Wood plays every week for Burnley and he plays in the Premier League. 

“You know he will be alright in this league. It’s not going to be a shock to him and he will run through a brick wall for you.

“That’s what Newcastle need. They need the likes of Kieran Trippier and Wood. 

“They need players who are going to roll their sleeves up and not come in and be shocked how fast the Premier League is.”

January transfer window 2022: Every confirmed Premier League deal

In the money

Bayern Munich were the only champions from Europe’s top eight leagues to make a profit last season. 

The KPMG Football Benchmark’s European Champions Report analysed the finances of the title winners from England, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, the Netherlands, Turkey and Portugal.

And Bayern’s profit from 2020-21 was £1.5m after tax. 

Premier League champs Manchester City were the only club to see their income increase compared to the previous season. 

The Citizens, who lost the Champions League final to Chelsea last term, recorded a total income of £537.3m.