Manchester City head coach Pep Guardiola has said that the club will have to wait on an update on Kevin De Bruyne’s health after the star midfielder was withdrawn from Wednesday’s 2-0 win over Aston Villa.
The 29-year-old would only last five more minutes before he was replaced by Gabriel Jesus.
Even without their playmaker, City would find the winning goal in the 79th minute through Bernardo Silva, who took advantage of a Villa giveaway to fire home from the top of the box for his first Premier League goal of the season.
City would add a late insurance goal as Ilkay Gundogan netted from the penalty spot after a handball from Matty Cash.
De Bruyne wasn’t the first City player to be felled by Grealish, who had previously knocked Kyle Walker out of the game in the first half.
Speaking in his press conference after the match, Guardiola said he was hoping that both De Bruyne and Walker weren’t seriously injured but admitted he didn’t have much information to share on their condition.
“First, I didn’t speak to the doctor,” Guardiola said. “Kyle asked to be out because something happened – hopefully it was just a kick. Kevin put his hand on his leg. Maybe it will be something muscular. But what do you expect?”
After winning the PFA Players’ Player of the Year for the 2019-20 season, De Bruyne has again been in stellar form for City this season.
The Belgium star entered Wednesday’s contest with 15 assists in 22 total appearances in 2020-21, to go along with three goals.
Guardiola has previously spoken about how important De Bruyne is to his side, saying last month that even in a busy period of fixtures the Belgian was too vital to be rested.
Source : goal.com